Summer professional development opportunity at Northeastern University for Secondary STEM Teachers interested in Engineering – CAPSULE.
What is CAPSULE?
CAPSULE is a two-week Engineering Project-Based professional development experience for high school science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) teachers funded by the National Science Foundation. Northeastern University and the Museum of Science in collaboration with the Boston Public Schools invite you to join us this summer in the design and implementation of CAPSULE, providing Capstone experiences for High School Students. Participants will be immersed in a variety of engineering experiences supporting the development of a menu of engineering capstone experiences for the high school classroom.
Applications can be completed on-line at: http://www.stem.neu.edu/capsule.htm
• Participation in two-week summer professional development course (option for Northeastern University credit)
• Participation in a supporting on-line community
• Participation in two callback sessions during the academic year
• Development of pre-capstone and/or capstone student project
• Implementation of project during the academic year with your students
• Participation in a culminating student day (Spring 2011)
• $1,500 stipend for participation in the two-week course;
• $500 for follow-up meetings and participation in online community;
• $500 towards supporting classroom materials and supplies;
• Graduate credit is available.
• Must teach high school-level science, technology, engineering, or math course(s).
• Must have prior experience with Engineering course work or professional development.
• Must be familiar with the Engineering Design Process (EDP)
Key Dates and Program Information
July 19 - 30, 2010 - Summer Program Dates
April 23, 2010* BPS priority deadline
April 30, 2010 Application Deadline
May 14, 2010 Notification
All applicants will be notified of their status via email by May 14, 2010. Due to the intensity of the program, we cannot make provision for vacation or personal time during the program except under extreme circumstances.
*Boston Public School Teachers that apply by April 23rd are given first priority in this program. The maximum number of teachers accepted this year will be 30.