Maudlin Wright, Principal
612 Metropolitan Avenue, Hyde Park, MA 02136
Directions via Google Maps
Access via MBTA Public Transit
BPS Report on Teaching & Learning for Greenwood Elementary
Partner University: Harvard University
Family Community Outreach Coordinator:
Number of Students: 363
Step UP Activities
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUSDM) provided all preventive treatment, including oral screenings, fluoride varnish, and dental sealants. Dental referrals were made for children whose cases required off-site treatment. Dental education was provided to the kindergarten and second-grade classrooms.
- In February, National Childrenís Dental Health Month, Tufts promoted dental care through an in-school poster campaign, and two TUSDM faculty members gave an oral-health presentation to second-graders.
- Tufts nutrition graduate students ran two training workshops for after-school program leaders and sent them Health Eating Active Time (HEAT) Club curriculum. Leaders at the Hyde Park Community Center received weekly updates and tips and were asked for feedback on a regular basis. A healthy-lifestyle newsletter for parents and children, compiled by the Tufts nutrition Step UP coordinator, was both mailed and e-mailed to leaders for distribution.
- Northeastern University facilitated a Family Math Night for more than 100 parents and students. Parents were provided with an overview of MCAS mathematics requirements, in addition to being introduced to resources and games to use at home. Harvard provided HASI SmartTALK math materials for every family attending the event.
- A Harvard leadership coach provided support and counsel to the principal as needed.